Tag Archive 'safe cooking'

Oct 12 2011

Profile Image of Curtis Cadenhead

Preventing Home Fires: 6 Fire Prevention Tips

Filed under Miscellaneous,Safety

Fire Prevention WeekIt is Fire Prevention Week. The Garage Plan Shop wants to share six more important tips with you about home fire prevention and fire safety. Practicing these safety tips will decrease the chances of a home fire.

 

1.    Use Electricity Safely: Check all electrical cords in your home and replace any that are cracked, frayed or show signs of other damage. Do the same for extension cords. If an electrical appliance starts to smoke or smells like it is burning, unplug it immediately. Either repair or replace the appliance. Never run cords under rugs and do not overload outlets or extension cords. Fuses and circuit breakers protect you from fire. Do not tamper with the fuse box or use fuses of the improper size.

2.    Matches and Lighters are not for Children: When in the hands of children, matches and lighters can be extremely dangerous. Store them out of reach and out of view from children. Teach children from early on these items are for adults only. If a child finds matches or a lighter, he or she should tell an adult immediately.

3.    Give Space Heaters Room: Give space heaters plenty of room. They should be placed three feet from anything that can catch fire and burn such as paper, clothing, curtains, bedding and furniture. Turn space heaters off when you leave or go to sleep; do not leave them running. Also, keep children and pets away from space heaters to prevent them from getting bumped and toppling over.

4.    Be Careful and Attentive When Cooking: Use the utmost care and attention when cooking. Never leave anything cooking unattended. Keep all cooking areas clear from combustibles including outdoor kitchens and grills. Turn handles of pots and pans inward one the stove to keep them out or reach of children and prevent someone from bumping the handle and knocking the pot or pan off the stove.

5.    Cool a Burn: If someone should get burned, immediately place the wound in cool water for 15-20 minutes to relieve the burning sensation and pain. If the burn blisters, chars or becomes an open wound, seek medical attention right away. 

6.    Learn and Practice Candle Safety: Though candles smell nice and look pretty, they are becoming a growing household hazard when home fires are considered. Use common sense with lit candles. Never leave a burning candle unattended in any room in the house, even if you are in the next room. Do not burn candles when you go to bed or leave your home. Never place a lit candle near combustibles such as clothing, paper, curtains or bedding. Lit candles should be placed out of reach of children. Do not burn candles in low places or on unsteady surfaces like the coffee table or end tables where they can easily be knocked over by people or pets.

 

Even though Fire Prevention Week will be over soon, it is important to practice these safety tips year round in an effort to prevent a fire in your home.

One response so far