Aug 31 2011
When it comes to building a detached garage plan, choosing the right one can be a bit overwhelming. With hundreds of designs available online, how do you know which one will be best for you? The Garage Plan Shop has a few tips to help you begin your search for the right garage blueprint and then narrow down your choices to find exactly the right one.
- Know what you are looking for and consider what type of garage you need. What is your lot size? What how many bays do you need? What do you plan to store/park inside? Do you need extra storage space?
- Use the search tool on the website to narrow the selection based on the maximum width and depth of your lot or property to find only those plans that will fit in the allotted space.
- From these results, eliminate the plans you don’t want. If you are only looking for a 2-car garage, eliminate everything else with more or less bays.
- Now check the elevations of the remaining plans. Try to picture each garage on your property and how it will look with your house or any other surrounding buildings. Eliminate any designs that do not have the “look” you desire.
- Now review the floor plans and pay attention to traditional elements like the overhead door arrangements and special features. Does it matter to you if you have one large overhead door or do you prefer two smaller ones? Would it be helpful to have a half bath, workbench or storage closet in the garage. Consider the pros and cons of the features each remaining garage plan offers. Eliminate any that don’t get your attention.
- With the few remaining garage plans, determine which garage plan has the right look and features that will best accommodate your needs and select the one you like most.
With these handy tips you’ll be on your way to selecting the garage plan that will best satisfy your needs.