Feb 23 2011
Currently, there is a growing trend among those wishing to build a garage. Many are opting for garage apartment plans. These floor plans incorporate a fully functional living space with the garage either on the same level or above the garage. Garage apartment plans range from a parking area with a studio apartment to a one to three bedroom layout. They include at least one full bath and a modest kitchen in most cases. Some even include special extras such as a fireplace, walk-in closet, laundry facilities or organizational built-ins. So, why are people choosing garage apartment plans? Below is a list of some of the top reasons for their popularity.
1. Guest or In-Law Suite – Many families enjoy out-of-town guests, overnight visitors and weekend visits from family and friends. A garage apartment provides guests with privacy and comfort.
2. Added Value – A garage apartment contributes street appeal and adds functionality and value to your property. It is a great way to complement your home and gain usable space.
3. Home Office – Many working Americans run home-based businesses. The apartment easily converts to an office and meeting area providing a space to work or meet with clients without disturbing the main home.
4. Work Space – For those who enjoy hobbies, the living area of a garage apartment plan comes in handy for use as a hobby room, craft area, etc. The living area can easily serve as a work space for all your projects, and you having to clear off the dining room table every evening for dinner. Plus, you’ll always have an extra bedroom and bath when visitors drop by.
5. Weekend Retreat/Secondary Residence – For those who like to get away from it all, a garage apartment is the ideal alternative to a vacation home. Use the garage for storage of outdoor sporting gear, a boat, ATV, bikes, etc. The apartment will give you a great place to kick back and relax after a fun day on the lake or hunting expedition. Some designs have multiple bedrooms offering plenty of room to bring a couple of friends along for a fun and relaxing weekend.
6. Income – If you are in need of garage space, but can’t quite afford a new garage, consider a garage apartment plan. You can use the garage space as you wish and rent out the living quarters earning income that will help you pay for the garage. Once the garage is paid for, you’ll be making money off your garage apartment. Also, most maintenance expenses are tax deductible.
7. Multi-purpose Space – Sometimes families need a flexible space that can accommodate many different needs. Consider a garage apartment with an open floor plan. The open living space can serve as an entertainment area for family and friends such as a recreation room, game room, home theater and more. Or it can be a game room tonight and convert to a meeting space for your wife’s scrap-booking club tomorrow. Possibilities are endless with an open floor plan. As you family grows and changes, you can adapt the living space to satisfy your needs.
If you are considering building a new garage, take time to think about the additional value and possibilities of choosing a garage apartment plan.
Browse garage apartment plans at The Garage Plan Shop.