Whether you’ve been thinking about building a detached garage plan for a while or the idea is new to you, it is important to keep in mind that such an addition to your property will improve your home and prove to be valuable. Detached garage plans come in a variety of sizes and styles, but one thing is certain, they all add value to your home or property, provide sheltered parking and protection for your cars, and offer storage space for basement and attic overflow or practical workspace such as a workshop or hobby room. Below are a few reasons while building a garage will improve your home:
- First, consider the protection of your cars. Being an enclosed structure, not only will a detached garage protect your cars from the elements preventing such problems as sun or hail damage, but it will also protect from other things like falling tree limbs and flying debris during thunderstorms. In addition, a garage will keep your car safe from potential auto thefts when parked in the driveway or on the street. The garage offers a secure overhead door that can be locked. Other windows and doors can be locked as well, keeping criminals away and your cars safe.
- When storage is considered, most of us think of storing our cars inside a detached garage. But building a garage plan can offer other kinds of storage too. Perhaps a 3-car garage safely stores two automobiles and the third bay is used to store seasonal items such as holiday decorations and patio furniture during the winter months. Or maybe you own other motorized vehicles. A detached garage plan provides parking and storage for boats and trailers, ATVs, golf carts, jet skis and more. When it comes to storage, there is no limit. Detached garages can be used to store the lawn mower, gardening tools and the leaf blower not to mention the kids’ bikes, soccer balls, and skateboards.
- In some cases, building a garage means added workspace in the form of a workshop or hobby room. Some garage plans include parking bays and a separate area for special uses such as a workshop for woodcrafts or a loft that can be finished as a sewing room or game room.
- Finally, detached garage plans deliver added value to your home. When you add a practical and useful structure, such as a garage, to your backyard, it will increase the value of your home. Should you ever have to move, you’ll see a nice return on your investment.
It is easy to see why adding a garage to your home or property will improve its overall function while satisfying your needs for parking, workspace, storage, and value. Take some time to browse The Garage Plan Shop’s collection of detached garage plans.
Have you ever found yourself wishing for or dreaming of a detached garage to protect your car from the elements or store extra stuff? Do you worry about the cost of build a garage or the lack of space in your backyard? If you answered “yes” to one or both of these questions, building a one-car garage plan from The Garage Plan Shop may be the solution you are looking for. Single-car garages are versatile enough to serve a variety of needs and they are generally simple in design making them an economical build.
Small and 1-car garage plans are just that, small enough to store one car inside. In most cases, their compact sizes allow them to fit in the most modest of backyards solving the issue of a small space or tiny backyard. Furthermore, most are quite basic in design foregoing all the stylish exterior elements and special features that drive up building costs. Generally, even those with a minimal budget can afford to build a one-car garage plan.
Of course a 1-car garage is just right for providing sheltered parking for one automobile, but do you know what else a 1-car garage can do? Take a look at the list below. You might decide that a single-car design is flexible enough to accommodate your parking needs now and convert to another use in the future. Or, maybe you’ll decide you need a 1-car garage for one of ideas mentioned below. So, what can a small garage or 1-car floor plan do for you?
- Lawn and garden shed
- Motorcycle garage
- Stores smaller motorized items like an ATV or golf cart
- Storage space of a mechanic’s tools
- Hobby or craft room
- Workshop for the family handyman
- Storage area for basement and attic overflow
Whether you want sheltered parking or a workshop, small garage plans and 1-car garage blueprints can accommodate a broad range of needs.
Have you ever heard of a drive-thru garage? Do you know what makes them so special? Drive-thru garage plans are just like any other detached garage offering parking and/or storage space. They are available in a variety of sizes and architectural styles. Some come with lofts, storage spaces and other thoughtful extras. But the thing that makes drive-thru garage plans so special is that you can truly drive right thru them. These practical and convenient garage floor plans are outfitted with at least one drive-thru bay. This means at least one bay offers a front and rear overhead garage door. With this special arrangement, you no longer have to hassle with backing in and out of the garage, you can simply pull right thru if you choose. Furthermore, if you are one who likes to store other items in the garage like the riding mower or the kids’ bikes, you can access these things from the rear garage door without ever moving the cars to get to them. Another special use for a drive-thru garage plan comes with those having extra deep bays designed to accommodate boats and trailers. With a drive-thru boat storage garage, you can simply pull into your garage, pull the truck thru the bay and unhitch the boat trailer, leaving it inside. Then, just drive away and close both the front and rear overhead doors safely storing your boat inside. You’ll never have to back the boat trailer in or out of the garage again. Likewise drive-thru RV garage plans are especially convenient for motor homes and campers. It is already hard enough to drive an oversized vehicle much less try to back it in or out of a garage. The convenience of a drive-thru RV bay eliminates the need to back something so monstrous out of the garage. For families that have small children and store toys inside the garage, drive-thru garage plans lend a little extra safety. Open the rear garage door and let the kids access their toys and sporting equipment from the backyard. This will eliminate the need for the kids to be in the front yard or on the driveway keeping them a safe distance from the street and out of harm’s way.
Drive-thru garage plans come in a broad range of designs ranging from a 2-car garage to a drive-thru RV garage. Check out The Garage Plan Shop’s collection of garage floor plans today!
The purpose and function of overhead garage doors have changed over time. Now, not only do they open, close and lock keeping your cars and other items in the garage safe and out of site, but garage doors also contribute to the overall curb appeal of the structure not to mention offer energy efficiency. Garage doors are available in a vast array of sizes, styles, colors and architectural themes ensuring you’ll find the right one to suit your needs. If you plan to build a detached garage plan, put some thought into the type of overhead doors you’d like to use. Below is a list of things to consider before purchasing your garage door:
- Does the garage door complement the architectural style of your garage and accompanying home?
- Is it available in a color that blends nicely with the façade?
- What energy efficiency features does it have including insulation?
- Is the garage door available with customizable options such as your choice of hardware or glass allowing you to have your own unique look?
- Does the garage door have a high durability rating?
- Are there any special safety features included?
Also, check with garage door manufactures. Some offer a design tool by which you can upload a photo of your garage and “try on” all the different door options experimenting with color, style, etc., making it easy to select the right overhead door for your new garage.
For most of us, the garage is considered an extension of the home, and for many, a garage can do much more than just store the family cars. Aside from the space they offer, detached garages are certainly a multi-purpose structure. They are built for any number of reasons and functions making it advantageous to add one to your home or property. Below is a list of some of the advantages of building a detached garage plan.
- A garage offers security and protection. It is a place where your cars are secure from potential vandals, theft and other car crimes or critters that might try to make themselves at home under the hood or in the undercarriage of the car. Also, a detached garage will protect your cars from the elements such as hail, wind, ice, snow and sun, not to mention a falling tree during a severe thunderstorm. And who wants to scrape the ice and frost off their windows every morning before work, when they can just park their car in a garage? Finally, a detached garage can offer locked storage space for tools and other valuables you might not necessarily store inside your home.
- For the family handyman, a garage makes a nice tool shed or workshop. Add cabinets, shelving and a workbench and you have plenty for room to store tools and supplies and still have space to work on home repair projects.
- A detached garage plan makes a nice hobby room for woodworkers and other hobbyists giving them a place to work on projects without disturbing the rest of the home. Also, it keeps harmful fumes and gases (from paints and other items) from entering the living areas of the home. Ventilation will be necessary if you plan to use your garage for such activities.
- Adding a garage to your property will increase the value or your home or lot. Should you ever decide to sell, you may see a nice return on your investment.
Building a detached garage plan has many advantages. They enhance living spaces, add extra storage and parking and provide workspace. Garages don’t have to be big and decked out with the most expensive features and accessories. They just have to serve the purposes for which they are built. If you are considering building a detached garage plan, take some time to browse the floor plans at The Garage Plan Shop. There are plenty of designs and styles to choose from that will satisfy your needs.