While a carport my seem like a very basic shelter when comparing its function and structure to that of a garage plan designed for the same purpose, protecting automobiles from the elements, it is important to note there is still much to consider before choosing a carport plan. The Garage Plan Shop has provided a list of tips to consider before selecting a carport design to add to your property.
1. Determine if you want the carport connected to the home or situated right beside it. Do you prefer it to be a free-standing shelter positioned some other place in your backyard or on your property? Some carport plans provide an option to connect the sheltered parking area to the home via a convenient breezeway.
2. Consider the available space you have to work with on your property and what size carport you can accommodate.
3. Think about how many vehicles you wish to park under the carport or what other items you might wish to shelter such as a boat and trailer, firewood, etc.
4. Take some time to measure the vehicles you want to park under the carport or items you wish to store. Add extra space on all sides to allow for opening of car doors, hoods, trunks, tailgates, etc. Also allow room for walking between vehicles if you plan to park more than one under the carport.
5. Do you have additional needs? Should your carport plan offer a storage space? Should it be a drive-thru carport? How many sides of the shelter must remain open? Determine ahead of time all the ways you plan to use the carport. Some designs offer storage closets, four open sides, two open sides, etc. It is important what extra elements you need or must have with your new carport.
6. Browse carport plans online to find a design that will accommodate your needs. While you may be focused on finding a design that matches the style of your home, concentrate your attention on quality construction, stability and durability.
Planning ahead will help you choose the right carport plan for your property.