Oct 27 2010
If you are planning to build a detached garage, it is important to realize it is not a simple project. It is necessary to have an understanding of the overall project and the main points of the construction process. This list will help you familiarize yourself with the main steps of the building process.
1. Clear and excavate the lot removing trees, shrubbery, grass and top soil.
2. Prepare the excavated site for the foundation by digging a hole to pour the foundation.
3. Build the form for the footings and concrete.
4. Pour the concrete footings and floor.
5. Frame the walls.
6. Construct the roof and finish with shingles or preferred roofing material.
7. Install garage door(s), service doors(s) and windows.
8. Add exterior finish such as siding.
9. Install ventilation, electricity and plumbing.
10. Install vapor barrier and insulation.
11. Install drywall.
12. Prime and paint interior if desired.
13. Seal the concrete floor and/or install floor covering if desired
14. Add organizational features such as shelving units and cabinets.
15. Landscape lot.
Please note: Some of the steps listed above may happen simultaneously instead of separately.
Reviewing and understanding the primary steps of the construction process will help you get started building your new garage. For more information about building a detached garage, check out The Garage Plan Shop’s resource page.