Sep 01 2010
Sometimes when homeowners and land owners decide to build a new detached garage on their property, they question the importance of buying garage plans. Some believe it is an unnecessary expense in the construction process and may try to build their garage from the simple floor plans found in magazines and project plan books or on a garage plan websites. However, the truth of the matter is stock garage plans are a vital part of the garage building process. It is important and necessary to purchase garage blueprints before construction begins. Below is a list of reasons why a new garage owner or a builder should purchase garage blueprints when building a garage.
- Purchasing construction drawings gives the garage owner permission from the designer or architect to build the original copyrighted design without breaking copyright laws. It grants the owner legal permission to build the detached garage.
- A set of garage blueprints in the most complete resource you and the builder will have for the entire building project.
- Garage plans outline the garage’s complete structure from the foundation and wall framing to the roof framing, exterior finish and trim and interior layout.
- The blueprints clearly define and illustrate what the owner expects the finished garage to look like when construction is complete.
- Garage plans outline and describe the design you are building before construction begins providing a complete overall concept of the entire building project.
- Garage blueprints are a necessary and useful tool in preparing the site or lot, planning the interior space, generating a building schedule or timeline and setting a budget.
- Blueprints map the boundaries for every room or space within the structure, indicate square footage of the garage and any finished spaces, and depict major elements on the floor plan such as finished rooms, bathrooms/half baths, doorways, windows and stairs when required.
- Garage plans depict changes in elevations. Interior elevations may reflect a staircase to an upper floor loft or studio apartment. Exterior elevations will depict how the garage will sit on the lot relative to the grade of the land such as a garage designed for a sloping lot or a drive-under garage.
- Floor plans provide a “map” and call attention to consideration for any special elements such as a covered porch, bathroom, living quarters or an attached carport.
- Because designers of pre-drawn garage plans create floor plans with many of today’s most requested features in mind, they are a smart and less expensive alternative to drawing a custom garage plan from scratch. These plans provide most of the features you are looking for at a fraction of the cost.
- Various pre-drawn blueprint packages (CAD files and reproducible masters) come with a copyright release allowing the owner to work with a professional designer or qualified builder to make changes to the original copyrighted plan, further accommodating specific needs.
If you are considering building a new garage, take some time to review the importance of purchasing garage plans. For further information about buying garage plans and blueprints, take some time to review all the helpful information in The Garage Plan Shop’s resource section.
No responses yet