May 13 2009
If you’re going to add a garage to your home, consider a garage apartment. One of today’s most popular trends, garage apartments offer the parking space you need and an added bonus: living space. Garage apartments are available in a variety of sizes and floor plans and come in a wide range of architectural styles ensuring you’ll find one to match your home.
What is a garage apartment? It is a garage design which incorporates a modest yet fully functional living space. Typically, the living space delivers one or more bedrooms and baths, a compact kitchen and a living area. Some even offer other features like an eating bar, a porch/deck, special ceiling treatments and more. Garage apartments are typically designed with the parking areas on the first floor and the living spaces above. However, some floor plans are designed all on one level.
So why should you consider building a garage apartment? Many of the top reasons are listed below.
- Add Value to your Home: A functional garage apartment adds value to your property and extra curb appeal. You’ll have plenty of sheltered parking and flexible living space to use any way you wish.
- Guest or In-Law Suite: Your overnight visitors and weekend guests will have comfortable accommodations and plenty of privacy in the garage apartment.
- Independent Living with Assistance: If you find yourself helping care for an aging relative who needs minor assistance but prefers independent living, consider one-level garage apartment designs. These floor plans offer all the comforts of home without the challenge of stairs to climb.
- Office Space: If you have a home based business, you’ll find a garage apartment provides the right accommodations for a home office and plenty of space to meet with clients, etc. Convert the bedroom area to an office and use the living areas as your conference area. With a full bath and a kitchen, you’ll feel as if you went to work without ever leaving home.
- Entertainment Space: For those who enjoy hosting get-togethers and have the extended family over for dinner on every holiday, the apartment area is perfect for a game home, home theater or recreation area. With the compact kitchen it is easy to serve drinks and snacks. Better yet, let the kids hang out in the apartment while you enjoy adult conversation in the home.
- Rental Property: If you’d like extra income to help you pay for your dream garage, consider renting the second floor apartment to a college student, a single or a couple. You’ll easily pay off your garage without having to pay for all of it out of your pocket.
- Hobby Area: Perhaps you have a hobby that requires a workshop and craft area. Use one stall of the garage for all the dirty work like cutting wood and painting, and use the living areas to add the finishing touches.
- Flex Space: As your family grows and changes, your garage apartment can change with you. Use it to satisfy your needs at any particular time. Do you need an exercise area, a quite place for your student to study or an sewing room? An open floor plan might satisfy your needs best. Just change the room arrangement as your lifestyle or needs change.
One response so far