Aug 21 2009
If you’ve decided to build a detached garage, take some time to do a little planning ensuring you’ll get the most out of your new garage in terms of storage and function. Below are a few steps that will help you get started planning the construction of your new garage.
1. Select a builder and seek his or her advice. Have the builder measure your lot or the available space to be used for the garage making sure you find a design that fits appropriately on the lot.
3. Plan ahead. Think about the future. Will you need extra storage space 10 years from now? Do you plan to store tools, bikes, sports equipment later? Will you be purchasing a third car when your teenager starts driving? Consider these possibilities. Maybe a 3-car garage would be a better choice than a 2-car garage in the future.
4. Check with your local government and find out if you must obtain a building permit. Ask for a list of building requirements up front so you know what is expected when it is time to build.
5. Select a garage plan to satisfy your needs and ask the builder to provide a building estimate.
6. Purchase your garage plans.
7. Obtain building permits.
Once you’ve completed these steps, you’ll be ready to begin construction. With thorough planning, you’ll be well on your way to enjoying your new garage.
No responses yet